Saturday, August 29, 2009

Adventures in Knitting

So my boys have been asking to learn to knit for a while. Finally this week I obliged. My boys are between 7 and 9 so I thought they'd have enough dexterity to manipulate the needles.

After digging through some left-over balls of acrylic and finding some short stubby plastic needles, we embarked on our first knitting lesson. I cast-on and slowly worked through the first row as the boys watched each step. Then we worked a few stitches together, hand-over-hand, so they could get the "rhythm". We made up a "story": go in the door, put on a scarf, poke your head back out the door and then close the door. Despite the dropped stitches, unintentional increases and other wonky weirdness, they've done an awesome job. Best of all, they're enjoying themselves!

Right now, we're focusing on the knit stitch. We decided to make garter stitch scarves for their teddy bears. Once they've successfully completed the scarf, we'll move onto roll-brim hats (knit flat) so I can introduce the purl stitch. The hats too will be for their teddies. Smaller projects will be easier to complete. From there, who knows?

I just think its neat that they even wanted to learn! They're so proud of the work they've already completed. My oldest couldn't believe how much his scarf had grown in a few days. A visit to grandma and grandpa included a tag-along knitting bag for the boys so they could show off their new skills.

I hope your weekend is filled with happy knitting joys. :)

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog on Ravelry.

    I love that you had the patience to teach your boys to knit. Congrats to all 3 of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kim. I hope they'll still be interested in a few months time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails