Sunday, January 30, 2011

Big Feet?

Finally got back to those slippers I started way back in the fall (I know I mentioned it here back in Oct/Nov).  They're for dear hubby.  The pattern calls for approximately 32 purl ridges for a man's slipper (slipper is worked in garter stitch).  I thought I was almost done.  Then I checked against the slippers he currently wears.  Those ones have approximately 42 purl ridges.  Guess dear hubby has big honking feet--well perhaps not honking, but bigger than expected?  Maybe I'm not quite done :(
Current Slipper Next to In-Progress Slipper
I only work on the slippers at lunchtime--and not every lunch--so progress has been very, very slow.  Hopefully I'll have one slipper done soon.  Thankfully these slippers are meant for next fall, so I have lots of time.

I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing them correctly.  Rightfully, these slippers should be worked like intarsia where one colour is wrapped over another to avoid holes; however, they are worked more like fair isle.  The floats in the back act as an extra layer of cushion-like warmth.  My problem then becomes this: how to avoid the holes?  My solution is to alternate colours every 2 rows.
Wrong Side of Fabric: Lots of Floats
I had the same problem way back when I first attempted these slippers for my son back in 2009.  Back then I wasn't quite sure I was working the fabric correctly, but I tarried on and completed the slippers.  I'm still not sure **sigh**

Guess I should just keep knitting . . .

2 comments:

  1. likely you have figured these slippers fout. 66 stitches 56 rows in garter stitch (28 knit rows on one side). these fit most people 4/14mm needle or smaller. tension should not be loose. each time you do 6 stitches change colour wrapping new colour around old colour of wood. At the start of each row wrap the new colour around the old colour; this puuls the edges tight and they fit well around the foot. (no need for folding over and binding. just pull toe thread through sitches and stitch up the front about 1/2 way. (some people knit two stitches togetheracross the last row to lessen the number of stitches (this makes it a little less bulky
    at the tow.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I did figure it out. It wasn't until I worked on some corrugated ribbing that the light bulb went off.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails