Sunday, July 5, 2009

Orange Smoothie

Do you like? I really like. :D

I started this project about a year ago (my Rav notes tell me I began swatching at the end of June 2008 and cast on mid-July). As a beginner's first foray into simple lace, I enjoyed the knitting despite little hiccups (for some reason I was making my YOs incorrectly. Thankfully my mistake didn't really affect the overall design). This top also represents my real first attempts at short-rows and I'm quite pleased with my effort and the final result (thank heavens for http://www.knitting-help.com/ and their videos. I think I played their short-row tutorial ad nauseum while I worked on the bust).


My one big modification was shortening the length. The lace portion was supposed to be 14", but I only worked about 12" (I didn't actually write down how much, but it was between 10-12"). I thought the original top would have been too long on my body. The final length looks fine.

The other modification was adding a single crochet border along back and underarm areas due to lots of rolling (not sure if it was flaw in my gauge, yarn choice or pattern). Some might not mind a little roll; personally I don't like it. The crochet really helped alot. If I were to re-do pattern, I'd definitely add some ribbing to control it.

4 comments:

  1. This looks great on you. I love the color. I also wear mine with something underneath as it's a little to risque for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments, coho958.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I saw this. I am in the middle of this project and have 10 inches of lace and think this may even be too long and have been worried about going the full 14. I think I'll stop at 12. thanks also for the tip on knitting help as I am really struggling on directions for the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad my experience with the Orange Smoothie helped you out Anonymous. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails