Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Little Patch

So after much neglect, my little patch needed a little "pick-me-up". There was a lot of work to be done. The dandelions had already taken root. Everyone calls them weeds and they are persistant, but I truly do like dandelions (I swear! Besides my toddlers love them. A two-year-old can't be wrong, LOL). Is a rose still not a rose by any other name? Dandelions are still flowers, albeit wild ones and often times unwanted (Who made that rule anyways? I wouldn't want dandelions in my veggie patch, but in the lawn . . . why poison your environment with herbicides? Besides, ever notice that those big fat bumble bees love dandelions . . . . Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now).

With the little patch by the front step cleared, I have to think about plants. A trip to a gardening center should give me some ideas. Some flowering perennials would be nice.

The front flower bed (above) didn't look too bad, but my rock wall was falling in places. Some of my perennials were getting a little over-grown (bleeding hearts, forget-me-knots, hostas, a pair of columbines, lilies of the valley and some other colourful plants I don't recall). My poor dogwoods haven't even filled in completely yet. In my neck of the woods, there's a danger of frost well into the end of May.



The right tools I may be lacking, but I had loads of "gumption" today--partly spurred on by Environment Canada's weather forecast for tomorrow: rain all day ! Ugh! (And I've got a BBQ to go to too **sigh**). Needless to say, I wasn't taking any chances. That rock wall was getting done today.

Despite taking all of 2 hours, it was time well-spent. Besides, I had fun puttering 'round nature, watching the sow bugs scatter (and I didn't even flinch when the millipedes ran for cover). The rock wall is right purty. All is neat and tidy again. I'll need another weekend to add good topsoil and some pretty annuals (or perhaps another perennial? So hard to find something that likes damp, shady spots).

Time to get the laundry from the clothesline and maybe afterwards, some knitting . . . ? Ahhh, my poor knittting . . . **sigh**
:S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails