Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some Distractions

Mixing dry ingredients
Instead of finishing my wee little Kirbys, I was busy doing other things.  Of late I've taken to baking every other weekend, usually muffins and occasionally cookies.  
Stirring dry into wet 
There's something terribly satisfying about makin' stuff from scratch: it feels like I'm doing something good for my family and they truly do appreciate it.  Everyone enjoys a muffin for breakfast or snack.
Spooning batter into tins
And I have a really good basic recipe that can be used with just about any fruit.  My fave are with bananas, but I've made them with apple sauce and pumpkin puree.  I bet you could easily substitute other fruit (although come fall we'll have a tremendous amount of apples to use up 'cuz we got loads of apple trees).
Freshly baked banana muffins
Not sure where it originally came from, but my mother-in-law gave me the recipe.  Thought I'd share with you my most fave muffin recipe:


2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2  tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)


2 eggs 
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups fruit (applesauce, mashed bananas, or pumpkin puree)
Note: for pumpkin puree use 1 cup of pumpkin mixed with 1/2 cup water


Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
Mix in sugars until well combined and the stir in raisins (optional).
In another bowl mix wet ingredients until smooth.
Stir dry into wet (don't over stir.)
Spoon into greased muffin tin and bake at 350 F (180 C) for  20-25 min.
Makes a dozen muffins.


Enjoy!  And hope you're having a great weekend too. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails