Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Ready for my Close-up Mr. DeMille"

Finished Blue Beret
Honestly, what does a girl have to do around here to get a decent picture?  With my blue beret hot off the needles, I was ready for a final picture to post on the blog and on Ravelry.  My eldest tried to take a decent picture, but he's only 9 and did his best. 
Not bad, but blurry

Then my husband tried, but his attempts were followed by mocking laughter (some of it from me and then some of it from him at my frustration--all in good fun).
Extreme Close-Up

Side View
Does this happen to you?  Do you find yourself being a little too critical about how you look in photos?  And when did I get "older"?  Seriously, there are wrinkles I don't remember seeing before?  Maybe my photographic standards have changed.  Or I need a really good filter--Ha!

Through experimentation and lots of trial and error, I've improved loads as a photographer (at least I think I have).  Sadly, the same cannot be said of everyone else in the family (and to be fair, the camera is mine and I'm the only one who's read the manual).  By default, that makes me the official photographer at family events or during the holidays.  The corollary being that I often don't get to be in the pictures.  Even when it is time for someone else to take pictures, they may not be as thoughtful in choosing the best light, the right angle . . . well, you get the picture (sorry for the bad pun).

It's not easy being a self-critical photo-taking, crafty blogger.
Say cheese!

4 comments:

  1. The hat is gorgeous and you look just fine too but I know what you mean about the pictures. I need a pretty good photographer to capture me at my best and sadly, that is NOT my husband. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much WoolFree! I really do like the hat and it feels warm.

    And good to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time finding a good photographer(although I did threaten to have hubby pose my knits next time, LOL)! But it really is hard to be objective about one's own appearance; easier to be less critical of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at how blue your eyes are!

    i, too, am the family photog, meaning most of our team photos include me looking quizzically at the camera as i wonder whether the timer has gone off ;-)

    and i just had my own blog-moment about my appearance, involving my neck. it's funny what you notice when you are trying to illustrate your knitting.

    i enjoy your blog! thanks for sharing your projects and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Knitinsage! Guess we all get self-conscious (and btw, there's nothing wrong with your neck).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails