Sunday, December 22, 2013


As soon as I finished off the last sock, I searched Ravelry for sock patterns.  I was looking for something different.  The yarn I planned to use (Bernat Sox) can pool wickedly--and not in a pleasant way.  So my search centered on a pattern that would counter pooling tendencies of multi-coloured yarn.  To wit, I found a neat pattern: Aquaphobia socks (Rav link).  
New Sock
My first attempt was frogged--misread the pattern.  So I cast on again with some simple mods:
1) cast on 64 sts instead of 68; still made increases but working with 72 sts instead of 76
2) worked 2x2 ribbing instead of 1x1
3) not working cable and instead have 2x2 reverse ribbing on the sides (p2, k2, p4, k2, p2, work slip-stitch pattern).
Taming the Pool
The effect isn't perfect, but the slip-stitch pattern does appear to tame some of the colour pooling.  Sadly I may have to frog again: when I tried on the sock, the leg seemed too loose.  Ugh!  I may have to stick to 64 stitches and forget about adding any increases.  I'm also using 2.5 mm needles, but I hesitate to go down to 2.25 mm 'cuz the slip-stitch pattern doesn't have much "give".

Here's hoping third time is the charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails