Friday, December 27, 2013

Lovely Patches

I've still got socks on the brain!  Not new socks (although there were socks under the tree).  Instead I'm thinking of old socks.  Socks with holes!
Blue sock with hole in heel
My sister-in-law, who is also a knitter, tipped me off to a good a great video tutorial on You-Tube.  The instructor creates a new patch that is knitted right onto the existing sock to cover the hole.  No sewing!  It is a beautiful thing.
Now my sock is not wool and neither is my patch.  So the patch will not felt into the old sock, but at least it will once again be wearable.  I must confess, though, that I used sock yarn for the patch where the original was made in worsted.  So, I fudged the technique and had to add extra stitches to make the appropriate width.
Fixed Sock!
I do like the final product.  Hope it prolongs the life of the socks a little longer.  At the very least I can wear these socks again.  And it only took me 15-20 minutes.  How about that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails