Friday, June 24, 2011

Excited . . .

 . . . over a sock!?  Yup, its true.  I'm just giddy over learning how to work a toe-up sock.  You'll recall my most recent attempt ?  Well, that got frogged (it was just an experiment to "try out" the technique).

My search on the internet finally led me to the most amazing thing ever: Judy's Magic Cast-on.  Have you heard about it?  It truly is magical.  Initially skeptical, I perused various video demonstrations on You-Tube.  Then, I grabbed a pair of needles and some spare yarn.  I couldn't believe how easy it was!  And it looks great.

From there I attempted the Fleege Heel 'cuz I wasn't sure if I was ready to try my hand at a short-row heel.  This too was quite easy (you gotta try it, seriously).  In no time, I had a "sock" on my needles.
Sample Toe-Up Sock
Don't be fooled by my sample.  I wasn't following a pattern per se; I was just trying out the technique and pulling numbers out of thin air.  So my "sock" is too short in length and quite wide (I grabbed the 5mm instead of using 4mm or 3mm DPNs). 

Flushed with success, I found a pattern (Ravelry link) that uses both techniques.  The pattern is from Liat Gat (and you might want to check out her website Knit Freedom.com; it's got lots of how-to videos and some free patterns too).  Right now I'm in the process of making my first toe-up socks using my newly learned techniques. 
Beginnings of Toe
I know I don't need a pair of dusty rose socks, but that's not the point.  It was the closest worsted I could find in my stash that wasn't earmarked for any specific project.  And I thought it best to use worsted rather than fingering weight sock yarn.  Yes, I hear those wee balls of sock yarn calling me.  Be patient my little precious balls of colour.  I'll be looking to turn you into socks very, very soon.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails