Saturday, July 2, 2011

All Socks All the Time :)

Yeah, its been a bit of a sock fest over here at Stitchery and Such.  What can I say?  Socks are my favorite take-along knitting project 'cuz:
1) socks are small and thus very portable;
2) basic patterns require very little brain power;
3) and they're very practical

And while we're on the topic of socks, I cast on for another pair of toe-up socks.  But this time, I'm using fingering weight.  Aren't I brave?  I'm really enjoying the colours in this yarn.  Its Patons Kroy FX (haven't used Patons Kroy in a long while).  I'm really lovin' the colour mix.  Uber-cool :) 
Patons Kroy FX in Clover
Using Liat Gat's Beginner Toe-Up Sock pattern (Rav link).  My first attempt on 2.75mm missed the gauge, but at least it was only the start of the toe.  Once ripped out, I started again on 3mm DPNs. After 2 rows, I switched to 3.25mm circulars (I don't own a set of DPNs in 3.25mm.  Besides, its easier for me to work Judy's Magic Cast-on on DPNs rather than on circulars--don't ask why).  So far, so good.  
Beginnings of Toe
This sock thing on two circulars is sorta new, but not completely foreign to me.  I've worked sweaters, sleeves and hats in the round on circulars, but never socks.  How hard could it be (other than the cast-on, but that's just me)?  The one bonus has been the lack of ladders.  Try as I might, I always seem to get ladders when I use DPNs **sigh**  Not so with the circulars--and that's a good thing. :)

By the way, I finished the worsted sock.  
Finished Worsted Sock
Its awfully pink, but its done.  Initially when I first cast off, I couldn't try it on 'cuz my bind-off was too tight!  Eeeek!  I had to pick off the cast-off edge and try something different, but what?.  Thankfully a search on Google turned up a stretchy bind-off over at Knitty.com.  Check it out.  It really made a huge difference.

As for the pink sock's mate . . . well, I'll eventually cast-on for it.  Eventually. Just not today. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails