Sunday, August 3, 2014

Couldn't Resist!

The temptation, that is.  We went away to Cape Breton for a few days to visit some historical sites and enjoy the lovely natural wonders.  And when I spied a Michael's craft store, I HAD to check it out--of course.

I saw lots of goodies and supplies for painting, scrapbooking and knitting (the crafter's lament: so much to do, but so little time to do it all).  When I spied some lovely yarn--and there was lots to choose from--I wrestled with the difficult decision of choosing one.  I didn't even have a particular project in mind.  I finally settled on something pretty that I knew I would never find in town.  Three skeins could work for a scarf or a shawl--or perhaps some other accessory.
Red Heart Boutique Treasure
Aren't the colours just gorgeous?  It's Red Heart's Boutique Treasure in Watercolours.  I just love the way the greens mix with turquoise and shift to blues and back to green again.  Although mainly an acrylic, there is 30% wool in the fibre content.  This could work as a winter accessory . . .  

I spied a current issue of Knit Simple at the magazine rack and picked that up too.  The issue has lots of winter accessories (Rav link).  Even though its still summer, it won't take long for fall to arrive.  And the nice thing about making accessories is that they usually don't take too long to finish--and I need the quick-project fix right now.
Fall 2014 issue of Knit Simple
It wasn't until a few days later--when we got home--that I matched project to yarn.  There was a simple cowl pattern in Knit Simple that caught my eye (among other patterns). 
No 17  Striped Cowl
I found a never-before-used pair of 6mm bamboo circulars and cast-on.  Even though the pattern calls for bulky yarn, the Boutique Treasure is rather thick for a supposedly worsted yarn.  The bigger needles will  make for a looser and loftier fabric.
WIP
Meet my cowl in-progress.  With variegated yarn making it's own lovely stripes, I decided against using two colours.  Oh this will be lovely to wrap 'round my neck come winter. ;)

Later,

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails